Fogarty International Center,
National Institutes of Health, US
- 2002, USPHS grant R01 TW05962, The International
Tobacco Health Research and Capacity Building Program (5 years).
- 2003, USPHS grant R21 TW006545,
Health, Environment, and Economic (HEED) program (2 years).
- 2006, USPHS grant R03 TW07233, A
theoretically based tobacco waterpipe dependence measure; FIRCA (3 years).
National Institute of Drug Abuse
- 2007, grant R01TW007917-01 under the title
‘Responding to the changing tobacco epidemic in the Eastern Mediterranean
Region' top further tobacco control work in the Eastern Mediterranean Region (5
Initiative in Developing Countries (IC health).
- 2004, Proposal Development Grant (6
SUG grant, developing smoking cessation intervention for waterpipe smokers (2
American Cancer Society and
International Union against Cancer.
- 2005, Recognition of Tobacco Control
Achievements in Syria Award.
International Development Research
- 2007, joint project with the American
University of Beirut "Determinants and consequences of smoking waterpipe" (3
European Commission (FP7)
- 2009, a collaborative project with
several EU and Mediterranean countries for the study of cardiovascular health
by the title "MEDiterranean studies of Cardiovascular disease and
Hyperglycaemia: Analytical Modelling of Population Socio-economic
transitions" (42 months) .
Sheikh Hamdan Bin Rashid Al Maktoum
Award for Medical Sciences
- Hamdan Award for the Best Medical
College/Institute or Centre in the Arab World 2007-2008